Tuesday, October 03, 2006

lovin' small group

I just got back from another good small group meeting. There is a real sense of community in this group. One couple shared some good news that was the culmination of a long journey and actually the start of another. There was real joy in the other members at the news - to the point of tears. Then there was genuine concern of the future and a sense of a need to commit it to God. This was followed by a time of spontaneous prayer - really beautiful.

Another thing happened that I really liked. During the prayer time later in the meeting, some of the prayer was prophetic. I'm not going to get into the "how do you know?" debate but I want to go on record that it was good to see some pray "as men with authority". Right or wrong, it was good to hear prayers that consisted of more than the "whatever you want God and we'll just be ok" line. These guys prayed like they meant it and as if God was speaking through them. There was even some "I sense God wants you to know ..." going on. I have missed that and love being around people that are willing to risk that God just might choose to speak through them.

Cool.

Technorati Tags: , ,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Rick, I know you're fishing for comments, especially from me.

It amazes me, when you are messing with the Almighty God, that you would say something like, "Right or wrong, it was good..."

I would also be careful with phrases like, "...willing to risk that God..."

I can imagine the two guys who touched the ark to steady it using the same phrases in their reasons/excuses why they did it.

But, we've had this discussion before.

Randy B.

ricki said...

hey - I didn't call you out by name ;- )

Yes, risky ground but in the end, even those "by Scripture only" are taking the same risk. I can always throw out the, "how do you know your interpretation/understanding is the correct one?"

Net - as in our previous discussions, His sheep know His voice and those that don't listen because they are concerned they are listening to another don't really end up following Him.

I think God wants us to know Him and step out if faith. That seems to be the Biblical record. I don't read anywhere the phrase, "now see all of these saints that have gone before you, stop acting like them. You can only respond now to what's written."

Anonymous said...

Well, Paul wrote Timothy this (2Tim3:15-17): "and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

I'm not sure what else you need? Paul seems to indicate we already have everything we need.

Randy B.

Shannon Laser said...

There are many parts of the body, each with it's own experience of God. I experience God differently then people around me. God speaks very clearly to me, many people can't relate.

Both scripture and hearing God's voice are a blessing. Each with their own special message to the receiver. And with both the Holy Spirit testifies.

Anonymous said...

shannon laser--
How exactly does God speak to you? Does He speak audibly? If so, does He speak English? If so, does He speak with an accent? BTW--In the Bible, God only speaks in Hebrew.
Randy (no-blog) B.

ricki said...

I'll let Shannon speak for herself but I cannot help but tell you my experience.

Once I "heard" a voice in American English with no heavy accent that I could detect but although I say I heard it, it wasn't with my ears. It was in my head yet it was so much stronger than a thought and it was clearly external.

This was followed by two distinct physical (subjective) signs but I took as confirmation of what I heard.

I've had strong impressions.

I've had other believers say things to me that "bore witness in my spirit" (just like I've heard people say things that although I couldn't put my finger on it, it just wasn't right).

reftagger