Sunday, August 05, 2007

this morning's gathering

After this morning's sliming (Slice of Laodicea, CRN, Pyromaniacs, Fide-O, MacArthur ...), it was good to join the community of believers that these guys despise so much. As we worshipped God together, it became so much more clear to me how deceived by Satan the aforementioned group is.

We went to the early gathering. About 100 other believers joined hearts and voices together to sing praise to the living God.

How Can I Keep From Singing - Redman/Tomlin/Cash

There is an endless song
Echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring

And though the storms may come
I am holding on
To the rock I cling

How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough
How amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing

I will lift my eyes
In the darkest night
For I know my Savior lives

And I will walk with You
Knowing You'll see me through
And sing the songs You give

How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough

How amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing

I can sing in the troubled times
Sing when I win
I can sing when I lose my step
And fall down again
I can sing 'cause You pick me up
Sing 'cause You're there
I can sing 'cause You hear me, Lord
When I call to You in prayer
I can sing with my last breath
Sing for I know
That I'll sing with the angels
And the saints around the throne

How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough
How amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing


Taste and See - Johnson

O taste and see
That the Lord is good
O taste and see
That the Lord is good
He is good to me

You've turned my mourning Into dancing
Put off my rags and clothed me with gladness
And I will arise and I will praise you
I'll sing and not be silent

O Lord, My God
I will give thanks to you forever
O Lord, My God
I will give thanks to you

And I'll live only for you
And I'll lift these hands up to you
And I'll dance before you
I will shout it, I will shout it to you


Holy - Brown

Holy Holy God Almighty
Who was and is to come
God of glory You're so worthy
All the saints bow down

Holy is Your name in all the earth
Righteous are Your ways so merciful
Everything You've done is just and true
Holy Holy God are You
Holy Holy God are You

All blessing all honor belongs to You
All power all wisdom is Yours


More Than A Friend - Riddle

In the quiet of my soul
In the stillness I hear Your voice call
And I am overwhelmed
And I am lost for words
To describe You

Jesus You're more than a friend
Jesus You're more than my heart could ever express
Your love and Your grace never fail me
Your merciful touch always heals me
You bring joy to my soul

My heart longs to worship You my King
And I long to bring You a pleasing offering
And I am overwhelmed
And I am lost for words
To describe You


Sweetly Broken - Riddle

To the cross I look, to the cross I cling
Of its suffering I do drink
Of its work I do sing

For on it my Savior both bruised and crushed
Showed that God is love
And God is just

At the cross You beckon me
You draw me gently to my knees, and I am
Lost for words, so lost in love,
I’m sweetly broken, wholly surrendered

What a priceless gift, undeserved life
Have I been given
Through Christ crucified

You’ve called me out of death
You’ve called me into life
And I was under Your wrath
Now through the cross I’m reconciled

In awe of the cross I must confess
How wondrous Your redeeming love and
How great is Your faithfulness


These are the voices the MacArthurites wish to still. Or perhaps it was that some of us gathered to discuss how we might reach out to some of the homeless in Cincinnati? Or perhaps it was that we collected money at this gathering that is intended to continue the ministry, 25% of which is used for serving others, e.g., missions, service projects, etc.? Or perhaps it was the voice that expounded the Word of God? Or was it that we participated in the Lord's Supper to remember what was accomplished on the cross and to give Him glory and honor? Or maybe just the sense of community that we felt as those joined together by one common Spirit?

I'm not sure but I'm tired of beating around the bush, these people are the Pharisees of the day and are crucifying Christ again by denying His Church and His power among her.

5 comments:

jul said...

That's right! I love them all but I won't give in for a moment to the outright demonic lies they perpetuate.

SB said...

"To the cross I look, to the cross I cling
Of its suffering I do drink
Of its work I do sing

For on it my Savior both bruised and crushed
Showed that God is love
And God is just"

SB said...

btw AMEN bro--

Unknown said...

I understand your frustrations. i don't know that there is any place for some of the things that are being said at some of these sites. that's the problem with blogs - it's all somewhat anonymous and "safe" to bad-mouth people. I understand your frustration indeed. However, I am not sure that I would go so far as to say some of the things you said. Are they really "enemies of God's people (and therefore God himself)?" Do you think that Mac is "deceived by Satan?" I don't know that I would say "these people are the Pharisees of the day and are crucifying Christ again by denying His Church and His power among her." That's a pretty harsh statement. Are you suggesting that these men have fallen away and that it is now impossible to restore them back to repentance? (Heb. 6:4-6) That seems to be a harsh statement - similar to your condemnation of them.

what are your thoughts?

ricki said...

I thought the same thing about my harshness. At first I was upset with myself for feeling and thinking this way. As you know, I've written similar comments in the past and then said I wouldn't keep doing that.

That aside, accept for a recent comment by MacArthur that not all Charismatics are guilty of charge X, I have not seen any change in their accusations or how they express themselves. MacArthur was writing books and articles about the Vineyard and Charismatics in the 80's. As with his current material, they contained some truth but mostly mean-spirited comments, false assumptions, judgement of motives, faulty logic, misrepresentation, generalization, etc..

Many spiritual and intelligent pieces have been written in response. These for the most part were ignored or treated with distain.

The material from the MacArthurites has only increased, the effect on Christendom has increased, the brashness and buffoonery has increased, etc..

Net - yes, I do think my feelings and thoughts are warranted. What bothers me now is that like them, I feel distain and I get caught up in the joking and mocking. If what I'm saying is true, this is serious and sober - not game playing.

I think I may be wrong in my assessment but I do not see it. In the meantime if I believe this to be true, I should confront but not fall into the trap they have.

I need to do this only as necessary as opposed to random blasts. I need to be specific and not speak in generalities. I need to be thoughtful and sober rather than flippant and amusing. Etc..

Most importantly, the whole of what I say and do should be glorifying to Christ and edifying to the body, not cutting and accusing.

So whether my assessment is right or wrong, the outworking of it in some degree has been as wrong as they have been.

That needs immediate adjustment while the overall judgement will be an on-going process.

I hope that makes sense and thanks for the kind but true confrontation.

reftagger