Saturday, August 18, 2007

the spirits in prison

I hate to admit this but there are passages in Scripture that I haven't given much thought to. I either presume I understand them or I don't really pay attention to the full meaning of them. I know, not ok, but it's the truth.

Anyway, one of those is 1 Pe 3.19, [v18-20] "For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits in prison, who once were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water."

My friend Tassos does a nice job of breaking this down and I have to say I agree with his conclusion, i.e., "Jesus went and preached to the spirits in prison, we should not read into it dead people living in a prison, without resurrection, and Jesus going to them to preach the good news. What the Word of God is speaking in I Peter 3:19 is not about dead people but about spirits, angelic beings that are in a prison, in the Tartarus, bound in everlasting chains under darkness. Why? Because of what they did in the times of Noah, leaving their own habitation, giving themselves over to fornication and going after “strange flesh”, after the daughters of men."

No comments:

reftagger