Wednesday, August 08, 2007

thorns, blogging, and how god speaks

Earlier this week, God spoke to me while reading John MacArthur's The Pillars of Christian Character.

MacArthur used 2 Co 12.1-9 relative to how the humble are blessed.

I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows. And I know that this man was caught up into paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows— and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter. On behalf of this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses. Though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

This passage is rich on so many different points. One of the pearls I see is that this is a great example of God speaking to His people. Paul didn't know whether he was in the body or out. I sense he didn't care much. What he did care about is that His God, the Maker of the Heavens and Earth, spoke to him.

MacArthur's take is not the same as mine and it clarifies the fundamental difference between us regarding how to approach the Bible. Because Paul recognized that the words he heard were supernatural in origin, MacArthur concludes that the experience was unique to Paul. He also adds, "no matter what many charismatics or mystics may claim today."

Interestingly, MacArthur then adds "he [Paul] had not been granted a special trip to heaven because he was so spiritual and deserved the privilege." Then MacArthur points out that this is one of many times God spoke (e.g., Acts 9.3-18; 16.9-10; 27.23-24; Gal 1.12; 2.2; Ep 3.3). Based on this, I'm not clear how the conclusion is that God only spoke to Paul rather than concluding that this is the way God speaks to all those He loves.

Another pearl in this passage is regarding the nature of the thorn. MacArthur concludes (and I agree) that it's clear that the thorn is a person and that this person was allowed by God to afflict Paul. MacArthur then gets more specific.
I believe this particular reference to a demon-possessed or satanically inspired person was to the ringleader of the Corinthian false teachers who were conspiring against Paul and devouring the church at Corinth. Undoubtedly, Paul did not like being backed against the wall by his opponents at Corinth and quite likely prayed that God would destroy them, even as David prayed in the imprecatory psalms regarding his enemies. But God wanted to use the leader of Paul's foes as an instrument to humble him. The Lord was willing, as He often is, to use whatever extremity necessary to humble one of His servants, even if it meant sending a messenger of Satan to plague Paul, allowing divisions in the Corinthian church to challenge him, or permitting his enemies at Corinth to directly test him by maligning his character. To God it is crucial that believers understand and embrace the attitude of humility.

He adds "he [Paul] searched his heart, let the Lord's humbling work go forward, and learned to embrace adversity - false accusations, malicious criticisms and character attacks, and much misrepresentation of his motives. Those are the same things we often must do if we would display a genuine attitude of humility.

MacArthur wrote these words in 1998. To me, they are both prophetic and ironic. God just used MacArthur and some of his followers as a thorn to me and others. I failed the test and here is where MacArthur is right, not only should I have not responded to these attacks, even worse, I responded in like heart - and this heart was not that of our Lord.

So Lord, I understand and embrace humility. I pray for my soul and that I might glorify you forever. I also pray for MacArthur and those like him. Lord set him free for the chains that bind him and allow him to be all that You want him to be in Your Kingdom.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I came here from Team Pyro, where I have seen your comments before.

I just wanted to say how much I like the banner across the top of your blog.

Strong Tower said...

Well, Paul does speak of the revelation that was given to him. And, when we connect the dots, to him alone was given the full "mystery" of the Church and it is he alone who defines it for us in the epistles. So, I would have to disagree that this revelation to Paul is the common experience of all believers or even an available one.

On the term thorn, the word comes from two Greek roots, one meaning the entire leg, and another meaning essentially to be able to examine one's self. Interesting is it not that the introspection, that is Paul's tendency to self exaltation is indeed the subject of his weakness. Now, it could have been a person, but it is not necessary that it is, for a malady such as a gimpy leg might cause him to be circumspect as to his position with God. But, if the arguement is made that it is indeed a person, though demons do not need to embody to harass, then it would seem that the "goading" that Paul was receiving from this messenger might well have been reminding that he was once a persecuter and murderer of God's people. This weakness, as Paul says is his guilt even though his conscience is clear. What better way then, then to have the Lord assign a means by which Paul is reminded of his former life, thereby insuring that Paul is kept humble knowing that it is his weaknesses, not his strengths (like his revelations) in which God shows himself powerful to save?

ricki said...

lordodamanor - so if I do the tally right, on the first point where I disagreed with Mac, you agreed. On the second point where I agreed with Mac, you disagreed.

So I am 0 for 2 with you and Mac is 1 for 2. I'll have to work on this.

Thanks for commenting.

Unknown said...

Rick,

You are kicking my butt!

And blessing me incredibly...

Blessed,
iggy

reftagger