Thursday, March 23, 2006

who is above all in worship?

Here's a good example of "me'ism" in worship pointed out by Bill. It's hidden so let's see if you spot it.
Above all powers
Above all kings
Above all nature
And all created things
Above all wisdom
And all the ways of man
You were here
Before the world began

Above all kingdoms
Above all thrones
Above all wonders
The world has ever known
Above all wealth
And treasures of the earth
There's no way to measure
What You're worth

Crucified
Laid behind the stone
You lived to die
Rejected and alone
Like a rose
Trampled on the ground
You took the fall
See it? Of course not because I cut it out. The last two lines of the chorus are:
And thought of me
Above all
So this is a good example of some great lyrics but "tainted" by putting "me" in the center. I don't know Michael W. Smith well enough to say whether or not that was intentional. Nor if it were intentional, if it was put there to try to bring balance to some other issue he might have been addressing. I use this not to critique him, but simply as an example of how we would do well to meditate on the words rather than simply singing. While you may not agree with me on the weakness of these two lines, meditation would at least reveal the greatness of the lines prior to that part.

PS - my recommendation to Bill was to sing the other parts louder ... but having heard him sing, I recant.

Technorati Tags: ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I need to be reminded of the magnitude of God's love for me and this song would definetely do it.

ricki said...

Anonymous:

Amen! You are doing better than me. I need reminding of God's love a lot more often then "sometimes"!

But, while His love for me is beyond comprehension, it is not "above all". That point is inconsistent with the truth found in the rest of the song.

Net - more about His love? Absolutely! But let's base that on truth. The Bible is full of that. There's no need to deliberately or inadvertently invent statements to support this.

Make sense?

Rick

Vince said...

i am in complete agreement with you about this song - not that you need my approval. when i have been in churches that sing this i usually add the line...

You took the fall
And thought of me
Above all
Really?

in my opinion (a good way to start any sentence that may be controversial) i would rather sing songs full of "i" and "me" and nothing about God if they were correct than sing a song that is all about God with one 1/2 correct statement about "me."

yes, i need to be reminded about God's love for me. i am currently studying the letter of 1 john. God's love cannot be overlooked. some variety of the word 'love' is mentioned 50+ times. God's love for us is a biblical truth - i'm not sure that it is above all other biblical truths. the glorification of the Father was certainly at the heart of the atonement as well as God's love for sinners.

rick - thanks for speaking truth about a song that has been so popular. i would say it is probably as popular as it is because smitty wrote it. does that always mean it will be doctrinally sound?

maybe a different topic of conversation sometime - the popularization of "worship" music (worship is in quotes for a reason).

David Rowe said...

Good post Rick - Its very simple, singing about me is not worship. So even if anon needs to be reminded of God’s love, that’s not worship.

Of course that doesn't mean there is not the appropriate occasion to sing songs of commitment, songs of encouragement etc.

marlster said...

you're posting a lot, dude! I had to go all the way down to this post that's just a few days old.

Tricky point you are making. Sometimes the ME is spelled a bit big (this being one case). But how about the psalms? they are often pretty ME-ish. It is totally specific and narrow, not high and abstract. That might be the danger on the side of removing ME from songs.

(btw: your style-sheet might need some work: all the links and lines beneath the post are like size 4. Impossible to read)-
Marlin

reftagger