Tuesday, March 28, 2006

a brave person

Aristotle in Nicomachean Ethics describes a brave person as:
Whoever stands firm against the right things and fears the right things, for the right end, in the right way, at the right time, and is correspondingly confident, is the brave person; for the brave person's actions and feelings reflect what something is worth and what reason prescribes.
As I've wrestled with the issue of confronting error it is clear that one of the key elements is wisdom. It is one thing to have a good sense of right from wrong but it is quite another thing to determine the right way, time, etc.. I know some that confuse their lack of bravery as being wise but it is simply that they are faint of heart so that it never seems to be the right time. I tend to err toward bravery without wisdom and therefore any time and any place seems good. That's not ok. I fact I think it is foolishness rather than bravery.

So as I contemplate this, I ask for wisdom to bring the foolishness more toward true bravery.

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Vince said...

i am not sure if this is in the realm of this discussion on bravery - but i wrestle with courage in sharing Christ. i often make excuses that it may not be the "right time." when is the right time? i often pray for courage (is that the same as bravery?) in my efforts to make Christ known. my excuses are in place because i lack courage.

ricki said...

nice add...

reftagger