Saturday, July 28, 2007

service

I just came back from our usual Saturday morning service project - I love this stuff. Today we simply handed out some small packs of granola bars, apples, and bananas in some low income areas. Nothing fancy but lives were touched. While we were doing this, I couldn't help but notice several other church groups were passing out flyers inviting people to VBS or some other special activity at their church. Now I don't want to judge. I expect that lives are touched through these people but for me, I felt right about providing some practical, albeit small, help.

Last week we had 5 people graduate from out Solomon Program. They went through 12 weeks of one-on-one counseling, some Bible training, some practical skills training, and at the graduation, they each received $3,000 to help with transportation, relocation, or education. It was so great to hear these people tell about how not only the money, but more how the relationships and education made a real difference in their lives. Prior to the course, 3 claimed to have a relationship with Christ. After the program, all said so. Of course the fruit is yet to be seen but to here these people witness to how Christ touched them through us was good.

The real cool thing is that all of them came into the program because they got to know us through the Saturday service work - very, very cool.

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no replacing practical, hands-on ministry for impacting people. There is certainly a place for "programs" but they must not be at the expense of service and ministry to people where they are at. It sounds like you have been doing just that!

Anonymous said...

Rick,
It's interesting that you should mention this. I have just been studying this topic some recently. A brother recently challenged me to look at the Scriptures concerning handouts to the poor. His point was that handouts should go primarily to believers not unbelievers. While I'm not convinced, there are some NT passages that are interesting along these lines.

Jesus seemed to feed everyone at the feeding of the 4000 and 5000, but look at what He said a couple of other places. Consider Matt 25:39-40. This is where Jesus is telling about the end times, and the King has just separated the sheep from the goats. He is speaking to the sheep (saved) here, and they ask a question:

"When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me."

Notice that Jesus singles out the acts of benevolence to "these brothers of Mine" which means the believers in this context. This passage is sometimes used to justify handouts to the poor.

Also consider Mark 9:40-41:
"For he who is not against us is for us. For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he will not lose his reward."

Again notice that the acts of benevolence are to the followers of Christ.

Then there is what Paul wrote in Gal. 6:10:
"So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith."

Here, Paul allows for good deeds to those outside the Church, but the focus is on those in the Church.

While it's hard to condemn benevolence (I'm not trying), I do think there are some questions about the primary focus of handouts by the Church.

I recently read a book that made an interesting observation. The author said that most overseas missionary efforts that propose leading people to Christ through medical work, schools, food handouts, construction projects, etc., are largely "unsuccessful".

Food for thought, I guess.

Randy (no blog)

ricki said...

no blog - I completely agree with your comments about the 'needy' within our Christian community. I was recently confronted by a situation in my own small group, i.e., family was in financial trouble and as they voiced this, we defaulted to standard, half-hearted, intercessory-type prayer.

I later discussed this with Barb and we agreed that we must do something financial. It was clear that the group missed all of what you rightly pointed out.

I made the offer but I'm embarrassed to say that it lacked enthusiasm and I felt relieved when I was rejected. I recognize that the Biblical command is not to find a comfort zone via handing out small tokens to the poor.

I'm praying this truth will penetrate my heart and transform me.

At the same time, I'm absolutely sure that the Biblical command (and I know this is not what you are suggesting) is not to form a club and only taken care of those within.

I want to honor God by honoring all of His creation - believer and non-believer alike. I want to live a life of abandon to all He calls me to. I want to give as if I truly understand who the Giver is.

reftagger