Friday, July 13, 2007

cessationism rolls on

The contradiction and inconsistency in the cessationist camp continues to roll on.

John MacArthur in a great piece on objective truth writes:
Give up the ground of biblical truth, and whatever belief-system you have left is not worthy to be labeled Christian, even if it retains vestiges of Christian symbolism and terminology. Many who would call themselves Christians today are in precisely that situation. They use the language and symbolism of Christianity, but their real source of authority is something besides Scripture. Some simply live by their feelings and shape their beliefs in accord with their own personal preferences.

But just a week earlier, Phil Johnson wrote:

If charismatics could produce the kind of miracles described in the Bible, or if anyone's "gift of tongues" turned out to be authentic or objectively translatable languages (like in Acts 2:8), I would be forced to reconsider my cessationist opinions.

Both sides of the cessationist and continuationalist argument have had some pretty big brains proffer their point from Scripture. I think the continuationalist side is more consistent with the whole of Scripture but I see merit in both arguments. I can even understand why cessationists think have proven their point and claim victory - although I'm not sure how proving God doesn't work through His people as He did in Scripture is something to celebrate.

Anyway, what I don't understand is now that about everything that can be written on the topic has been, the 'team' that thinks their strength is Biblical truth, feels ok with throwing out comments such as those of Johnson. I find Johnson's remarks consistent with the unbelievers of Jesus' day and inconsistent with the right thinking his own camp puts forth regarding the high standard of Scripture.

So Benny Hinn can claim that miracles are real and Phil Johnson can claim that they are not, I claim the Scripture regarding the Kingdom are true. Folks, what we have here is a simple case of the "already, not yet". The MacArthur camp thinking of the Kingdom as "here once, gone today, and back tomorrow" just doesn't float based on Scripture - and that's enough for me.

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The interesting thing to me is that as I have studied out where "objective truth" came from... it is not the Bible...

It is part from Plato and dualism... and German mathematician Gottlob Frege...

I have an post on this here

I agree that it seems sad that the cessationist believes they won by denying the Power of the Holy Spirit... but of course since we do have the Benny Hinns around that does not help matters...

I agree though that it is "all ready/not yet" or as I see the scripture state, "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough."

It is here, ever growing... otherwise we have this poor woman mixing her yeast, it grows, then disappears, then reappears... and Jesus is a liar...

But, who can argue with John and Phil?

Be Blessed,
iggy

reftagger