Tuesday, July 03, 2007

adrian's atonement quiz

Ok - it's not really Adrian Warnock's quiz, but he posts The Atonement - A Quiz as a summary to his excellent series on this important topic. Try it and see how you do.

I know some of you are concerned because I am a Reformed Charismatic but rest assured, the Charismatic part didn't cloud my understanding of the atonement, I aced the quiz. Well, at least from a reformed view - some of you may disagree with the quiz answers.

Let me know how you came out.

In closing, Martin Downes brings us the words of the great JI Packer:
As I grow old, I want to tell everyone who will listen: 'I am so thankful for the penal substitutionary death of Christ. No hope without it.'

It was with his own will and his own love mirroring the Father's, therefore, that he took the place of human sinners exposed to divine judgment and laid down his life as a sacrifice for them, entering fully into the state and experience of death that was due to them.

Since all this [the work of the Triune God in salvation] was planned by the holy Three in their eternal solidarity of mutual love, and since the Father's central purpose in it all was and is to glorify and exalt the Son as Saviour and Head of a new humanity, smartypants notions like 'divine child abuse,' as a comment on the cross, are supremely silly, and as irrelevant and wrong as they could possibly be.

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
You got #37 right (according to Stott)?

ricki said...

Like Adrian, I guessed that Stott was not thinking ultimately. In an ultimate sense, I would expect all Christians to agree that healing is in the atonement and realized at His second coming.

In the penultimate sense (as Adrian calls it) we sometimes are fortunate enough to realize this now (although never complete in that we still eventually die).

We third wavers would call that, the 'already-not-yet'.

So yes, I got it right based on some assumptions around the statement.

reftagger