Thursday, September 13, 2007

representing truth to the world next door

Ricky Alcantar of NewAttitudes posts the following.
Humble orthodoxy serves as a framework for representing truth to the world next door.

I have to resist my inclination to change my message just a little bit to make it more palatable. I have to remind myself the Truth that saved people 2,000 years ago still has the power to save today. If I succeed in reaching out to those around me but, in the end, change the message that can save them I’ve accomplished nothing. Only the Truth of the gospel can save. Only the Truth of God’s word can bring light into our dark work.

And conversely:

[W]hen I understand a little bit of truth my tendency is is to want to beat people over the head with Truth. I want to win an argument in class. I want to be right. 1 Peter 3:15-16 says, “But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you” (ESV). Sinfully, I want to make that verse into a mandate to correct everyone I encounter without caring for their souls. My “defense” starts to be sinfully offensive.

I too often forget that the rest of that same passage in Peter says, “Yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame” (1 Peter 3:15-16). Yes, the Bible says, hold to the Truth but do it in a way that reflects a changed life. When I proclaim the gospel message arrogantly my life and words contradict the very message I’m trying to proclaim.

Very well said.

No comments:

reftagger