Monday, September 17, 2007

orthodoxy and the word of god

Here are more great thoughts quoted from the guys at New Attitudes.

1. Recognize we don’t know everything. We see through a glass darkly on some things (1 Cor. 13:12). It is good and humble of us to recognize that our night vision and partial knowledge likely exists on more things than we either admit or know right now. There are doctrinal positions I held fiercely and dogmatically at one point in my walk. And as I said in the original post, I steamrolled people who didn’t hold that view. By God’s grace, I’ve come to learn of inadequacies and error in positions once held dear. I “knew in part.” I didn’t know everything then, and I don’t know everything now. It’s good to recognize that I’m not omniscient. Such recognition increases the prospects of humility.

2. However, we should also recognize that we do know some things. Though we know in part, the scripture is clear on a great number of matters essential to the faith. That’s why there is an orthodoxy to even speak of; the essentials are clear and ought not be doubted. We don’t doubt the incarnation, sinless perfection, miracle working power, teaching authority, deity, crucifixion, substitutionary atonement, resurrection, ascension, return and reign of our Lord Jesus Christ. Those things (among others) define the faith and are not negotiable. We hold these truths tightly because they are of first importance, and being so the Lord has not left these things hazy. Far from leading to doubting orthodoxy, humble orthodoxy embraces the essential truths of the faith as fully as possible, even defending them wherever needed (Jude 3) but always “with gentleness and respect” (1 Pet. 3:15-16).

3. Recognize the source of orthodoxy. It is the Word itself that establishes the orthodoxy, not our agreement with it. We’re humble and orthodox if we realize that the truth doesn’t depend upon our adherence to establish it. Neither does it depend on the thoughts of great Christians in the past. If we’re humble, we learn from those who have gone before us. We study church history and the writings of previous saints. And we are helped, corrected, warned, encouraged, and instructed as we do so. And though our heroes may be champions of orthodoxy, the scripture provides the plumbline. Orthodoxy is not a democratically established idea. The Monarch, the King of kings, declares what is right thinking and belief in His Word. “Hear ye, Hear ye the King!” should bellow in our ears as we approach the Word. For in the scripture the One who determines what is orthodox speaks.

4. Recognize that “humility” is not the same as doubt or being non-committal. That’s precisely what some people suggest—humility is questioning everything and holding to nothing. But biblically that’s being “double-minded” and “unstable in all our ways,” not humble (Jam. 1:6-8; 4:8). We receive the Word with meekness (Jam. 1:21), not with doubt. In other words, we joyfully accept what God reveals with the kind of lowliness that esteems the Word and the Lord as higher than ourselves.

5. Recognize that true humility requires a transformed mind. God’s thoughts are not our thoughts. His thoughts and ways are higher than our thoughts and ways (Is. 55:8-9). That should make us flinch, pause, and reflect every time we encounter a passage of the scripture that we tend to explain away or disagree with. If God’s Word is infallible and inerrant, and if the thoughts of God are higher than ours, then in humility, we question what we think in favor of the more sure word of prophecy revealed in the scripture. After all, whether we understand it or not, the scripture is entirely and always orthodox. Our minds need renewing (Rom. 12:2), not God’s. “Let God be true and every man a liar” (Rom. 3:4) is our attitude before God’s Word.

6. Recognize our need to obey the Word of God. That’s obvious, though it needs stating. If we are humble and orthodox, we approach the Word of God with a prayerful heart of obedience. We ask the Lord to grant us grace to do what he commands. We determine that it’s far better for us to do whatever the scripture requires though it be costly, than to take the way that seems right to man but leads to destruction. His commandments are not burdensome and like the psalmist we delight to keep His law as an expression of love for our Savior (John 14:15).

2 comments:

Rick Frueh said...

"There are doctrinal positions I held fiercely and dogmatically at one point in my walk. And as I said in the original post, I steamrolled people who didn’t hold that view. By God’s grace, I’ve come to learn of inadequacies and error in positions once held dear."

A subtle reference to the Calvinistic epiphany. There is no denying it, most Calvinists hold that their "conversion" to the "doctrines of grace" are the second blessing of the Christian life. And the implied and many times open inference is that they have found the mother load of truth, important truth, foundational truth, and in fact I agree that if their view is correct, the Bible cannot be correctly interpreted without the embracing of these truths.

I reiterate my former observation, the overwhelming number of Calvinists are saved under a non-Calvinist preacher and/or message. There must be a reason.

ricki said...

Rick - the reference is too subtle, I missed it. Where is Calvinism alluded to?

That aside, I don't think it and I have not read anyone nor spoken to anyone that said that 'conversion' to Calvinism is the second blessing. Although I think the doctrine of election has helped me sort out some things and opened questions for me in other areas, I would say it has been quite helpful. I wouldn't rank it number 2 to my conversion however.

And I cannot speak for the others but I wasn't saved under any preacher or message. I can add that for the majority of those I've had the privilege of being part of their spiritual journey, I was wearing my Calvin hat.

reftagger