Friday, July 18, 2008

guide to reading

Martin Downes posted Richard Baxter's guide to the reading of a book (or a blog) to consider when reading.

When reading ask onself:

1. Could I spend this time no better?

2. Are there better books/blogs that would edify me more?

3. Are the lovers of such a book/blog as this the greatest lovers of the Book of God and of a holy life?

4. Does this book/blog increase my love to the Word of God, kill my sin, and prepare me for the life to come?

I have to say that I have been seriously considering these principles more and more lately.

A few months ago I made a wholesale deletion from my reading list the blogs of those I would characterize as "watchdogs" and/or "watchdogs of the watchdogs". While there was some truth in what they reported and some of that benefited me, it became nearly impossible to read through their venom and nonsensical arguments with becoming "tainted". I have to say I feel much cleaner these days.

Now I have begun deleting some pretty good blogs from my rss reader because they simply push the envelop too much and while they may not be heretical, they are borderline and certainly pointing the less wary in that direction. As I get older I find myself with less energy to deal with those bent on inventing new truth.

Oh well, that's what's up with me ...

No comments:

reftagger