Saturday, November 17, 2007

the tension of the cross

Matt Adair led me to this great post by Justin Buzzard. In it Buzzard succinctly captured the tension found in the cross of Christ as well as his reaction to the message he recently heard from Rob Bell.
The cross of Christ is simultaneously the greatest criticism and the greatest affirmation you could ever receive.

The great criticism of the cross is that you are so sinful that God had to sacrifice his Son on the cross for your sins. The great affirmation of the cross is that you are so loved that God sacrificed his Son on the cross for your sins.

The cross criticizes you, it reveals the extent of your sin. The cross simultaneously affirms you, it reveals the extent of God's sacrificial love for you through Jesus.

The cross that I heard Rob Bell speak of on Monday night was a cross full of affirmation, but void of criticism. My conviction is that you don't have a true cross unless you hold together the paradox of the cross--that what Jesus did on the cross is simultaneously a radical criticism of your sinfulness and a radical affirmation of your value to God. Rob's message left me with a lot of affirmation, but no criticism. His message left me with a big vision of myself and a small vision of God.

But when I survey the wondrous cross of the Bible I'm simultaneously criticized and affirmed, giving me a big vision of a very big, very good God and small vision of myself, a sinner saved by amazing grace. I experience joy, I give glory to God, and I am of help to my neighbor and my city when I have such a perspective.

I love to quote the famous words of John Newton, the former slave trader who wrote the hymn Amazing Grace, "I'm a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior." I don't think those 10 words came to mind for many people listening to Rob Bell on Monday night in San Francisco.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick, did you see Rob? I say this because man doesn't need any help realizing his own brokenness.

ricki said...

jonathan - no I did not see him.

Your statement that man doesn't need help realizing his brokenness strikes me as incorrect but then I realized I'm not sure why.

I'm going to bed now but I'm definitely going to give that more thought ...

Anonymous said...

Jonathan - While I'd agree that most people realize that they and the rest of the world are jacked up, both the Scriptures and life help us see that the cross is necessary to understand why everything is broken and why Jesus is our only hope.

I've heard Rob often and I'd agree with Justin - at the end of the day, I'm not hearing the full message of the Scriptures. We certainly need to know the amazing breadth and depth of God's love for us, but that love will never change us to the degree that it should until we realize that it's a love that finds us as people who are more wicked than we ever imagined.

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I didn't say the cross wasn't necessary and neither did Rob.

Historically haven't we focused so much on the criticism and left the love in absence? Why do we have so little faith in the love of God to transform?

As example, children weren't drawn to Jesus because they are deviant screw-ups. They were drawn to his love. And he didn't find it necessary to remind them either. Mary Magdalene knew she was a sinner and yet it was the love, not the judgment that drew her in.

Help me where I'm seeing this wrong? Because I don't get it.

Rick Frueh said...

The law itself was ordained to reflect man's sinfulness and help him see his need. The Holy Spirit was sent to convince the world of sin.

Of course we can overemphasize the negative, but to build up unregenerate sinners is dangerous and unscriptural. There is a new Christianity in town, and the Edwards, Whitefield, Finney, and Wesley brand is now eschewed.

ricki said...

Rick - well said.

Anonymous said...

Rick, I've been thinking a lot about my own comments and realize that my statement may mislead you. I don't want you to think that conviction is not needed. But this is the role of the Holy Spirit who is constantly working. I don't want to give you the impression that I don't think conviction is necessary.

ricki said...

Jonathan - thanks and now you are really onto something! The point is whether it is the conviction of sin, the revelation of the truth of God's love, etc. - it is all the role of the Holy Spirit. My role is to be careful to not say or do more than He is and this is where we often get into trouble. Some of us think it is our job to go around making people feel guilty - no! Some of us think it is our job to loves everyone no matter what and we are all ok to Him - no! Some think it is our job to argue God's case for Him - no!

At any given moment we might actually find that we are called to do one of those but to make one aspect versus another our ministry or job I think misses the mark.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing because you just said everything I wanted to say.

reftagger