Monday, November 19, 2007

confrontational grace

What!?!?!? He tried to represent the other guy accurately!?!?!? Can he do that? Is that allowed? From the blogsphere in general one would think that attack comes before understanding (if the latter ever comes at all).

Adrian Warnock brings us this quote from NT Wright on his thoughts regarding John Piper's book about him.
Piper is in a different category. He graciously sent me an advance manuscript of his book which is critiquing me and invited my comments on it. I sent him a lengthy set of comments. I’ve only just got on email about two days ago the book in the revised form and I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet. So I cannot say whether he’s being fair or not at this stage.

But I do know that he has done his darndest to be fair and I honor that and I respect that. People have asked me if I’m going to write a response, and the answer is that I don’t know. I’m kind of busy right now. But I maybe should, sooner or later.

Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

Rick Frueh said...

That is very edifying and challenging for me personally. I have tried to be fair and have not always succeeded. Piper's approach is such a contrast to much of the caustic and self serving hyperbole that ornaments the blog landscape.

reftagger