Wednesday, January 31, 2007

bonhoeffer on human love

In line with yesterday's post on the love of God, here is something from Dietrich Bonhoeffer in Life Together.

Likewise, there is a human love for one's neighbor. Such passion is capable of prodigious sacrifices. Often it far surpasses genuine Christian love in fervent devotion and visible results. It speaks the Christian language with overwhelming and stirring eloquence. But it is what Paul is speaking of when he says "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned" - in other words, though I combine the utmost deeds of love with the utmost of devotion - "and have not charity [that is, the love of Christ], it profiteth me nothing" (I Cor. 13:3). Human love is directed to the other person for his own sake, spiritual love loves him for Christ's sake. Therefore, human love seeks direct contact with the other person; it loves him not as a free person but as one whom it binds to itself. It desires to be irresistible, to rule.
HT: DW

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

reftagger