Wednesday, December 20, 2006

wireless update

For those of you that know me, while I may know a couple of things technically, I am no technical geek. Regardless, I want to provide an update of a personal and technical nature. Since moving to Cincinnati in July, I have had a horrible time with my home network. The symptoms were innumerable. I've spent hours on help-lines, I've bought and returned no less than four different routers, six access points, and a print server. I even paid a tech-geek almost $300 to come to my home - end result, not good. The tech guy at least got me to the place where I had consistent connection but only if I was within 10 feet of the $200 Airport Extreme. I can extend that using the $130 Airport Express but it had to be within a few feet of the Extreme and I still had to be within 10 or so feet of the Express - net I only gained perhaps 10 more feet - beyond that, connection was hit and miss.

Well good news. Two days ago I bought a Belkin N1 for $140. I could have bought it over the internet to save some money but I needed to protect myself to return it. And I realize that this is pre-N so there is a chance that I may not have the final standard. But I have to announce, I am looking forward to getting my $330 back from Apple when I return the Extreme and the Express. The Belkin is rock solid. I have excellent to good connection through my Casa - and more importantly out on my back deck for cruising the internet while enjoying the great outdoors!

I am very happy and consider this my Christmas gift.

Technorati Tags: ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, what is the moral of the story?

ricki said...

vince:

1) experts are not
2) saving money without the ability to return is folly
3) apple is not king - at least not of everything

Anonymous said...

well done grasshopper

reftagger