Saturday, December 16, 2006

no more mr nice group

My dear friend Marlin just returned an email I sent him a year ago. Marlin is very busy planting a church, working two jobs, blogging (but not as much as the past) and making babies so it is ok.

The email was an article I found by John Ortberg titled, No More Mr. Nice Group - 5 practices that take small groups beyond polite "sharing" to the disciplines that change lives. I'm glad he sent this now since I have recently struggled with small group. I heard a group leader say to me that he thought small group should be a "safe place". While I agree with that, this is only part of it. Small group should be safe in the sense that every member must know that they are loved, that they will not be embarrassed outside the group, that we are all in this journey together and no one stands above another, etc.. Where this is not enough is that small group should be safe but not comfortable. Too many group leaders confuse safety and comfort. Under the guise of safety, error is not confronted. Under the guise of safety, growth is not promoted - if it occurs, it is slow and incidental as opposed to deliberate.

Ortberg's opening remarks stress the importance of this.

God has entrusted us with his most precious treasure—people. He asks us to shepherd and mold them into strong disciples, with brave faith, and good character. I would not give my life to any church that was not serious about this calling—the transformation of human beings. God has decided, for his own good reasons, that people are not transformed outside of community.
First, why is community so important, to quote Ortberg more:

... Dallas Willard has said about the Christian life: "Personalities united can contain more of God and sustain the force of his greater presence better than scattered individuals." Think about that. Personalities united—people in community—contain more of God and his transforming power than isolated individuals. We should not be surprised that transformation requires community; it's how God designed us.

When we are alone, it's easy to think, incorrectly, that we are spiritually advanced. I can watch a Hallmark commercial alone and find myself moved to tears. I tell myself that I am a very compassionate person. But when I spend time in community with a person who annoys me, it's amazing how quickly I experience "compassion fatigue."

In community we discover who we really are and how much transformation we still require. This is why I am irrevocably committed to small groups. Through them we can accomplish our God-entrusted work to transform human beings.
The question now posed is what makes a group truly life changing? Ortberg answers this in five points.

Confession: remove the masks. We all wear masks. We hide from each other. It's part of our fallenness. That is why one of the most formative practices in a small group is confession. Confession is the appropriate disclosure of my brokenness, temptations, sin, and victories for the purpose of healing, forgiveness, and spiritual growth. Without confession we are a community hiding from the truth. ... A small group serious about transformation should be moving into ever deeper confession—removing masks to reveal our core feelings and fears, sins we still struggle with, and areas where we're not growing. ... We need to avoid "confession killers" in our groups. These include the inappropriate use of humor. Some people are embarrassed by deep honesty, so they may mock the person confessing or diffuse the atmosphere with a joke. It sends a signal that this is not a safe place to confess, and the masks go back on.

Application: look in the mirror. James 1:23 says, "Those who listen to the word, but do not do what it says, are like people who look at their faces in the mirror, and after looking at themselves, go away and immediately forget what they look like." A small group is a place for people to look into the mirror, discover who they are, and then ask, "How do I apply God's word to my life as it really is?" ... We .. need are small groups to be schools of life. Imagine someone has a problem with anger—a small group leader should ask them: "What kinds of situations tend to get you angry, and how do you respond?" Give them some alternatives to sinful patterns of anger. Roleplay these situations in the small group. Then next week ask, "How did it go?" If they got it right, celebrate it. If they didn't, investigate what happened, and encourage them to do it differently next time.

Accountability: stand on the scale. Small groups are the place for people to get on the scale and reveal how intentional they have been to pursue transformation into the image of Christ. William Paulson writes, "It is unlikely that we will deepen our relationship with God in a casual or haphazard manner." I think he understates it. People do not drift into full devotion to Christ. People do not drift into becoming loving, joy-filled, patient, winsome, world changers. It requires intention and effort.

Guidance: follow the map. The small group is to be where we find guidance, where we help each other learn how to listen to God. Small groups who rely upon God's Spirit serve as a map for us when making important decisions. ... Small groups should be places where people gather to hear God through prayer and listening [and Scripture]. Every small group meeting should include the question, "Is anybody facing a significant decision this week?" And in community the group should seek the Spirit's voice for the person facing the decision.

Encouragement: embrace each other. ... small groups have the privilege of loving and accepting human beings for whom Christ gave his life. In these groups we can supply the love, encouragement, and embrace people need to continue their journey of transformation. ... love is what we ultimately need in small groups to transform lives. We can make small groups so complex and difficult, we can build the perfect small group strategy, but if we do not have the love of Christ present, we are not really engaged in transforming people into his likeness.

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rick for this posting. Small groups is something I too have been struggling with. Not in finding a group of people I feel 'safe' with or feel like I can 'hang' with. It's more so the area of 'people who are wanting to really experience growth'.

I'm not one to question other peoples relationships with God. But I can question our desires to grow those relationships, experience things we've never experienced, and get excited about change.

The 'killjoy' comments really do kill the safety of a small group. If someone comments that they are doing something to serve the less fortunate that isn't a program or part of something larger...and another comment comes out that 'here we go...saving the world'. As humorous as that may seem, it really doesn't help in wanting to share, and it can also confirm that change is not something people in the group value as part of the purpose of the group.

My question is, does God call some into small groups to bring awareness to others in that group, even if it means they experience no 'benefit'? To challenge a group? To guide them out of whatever desert they are in?

Anonymous said...

Or can that come across as a 'holier than though'?

ricki said...

Chris - good question. I think the Scriptural answer (and my experience) is that no matter what level one is at in their personal journey, they will benefit from community. Using your example, if true community is occurring, the person sharing their experience will learn to share it in a "spirit of humility" and the hearers will learn to hear it in just that way. It takes people in love with each other for that to happen.

My experience is that if love is absent on either end, the message will not bear the fruit it is meant to bear. For the more mature person that then becomes the challenge, how can I share in a way that let's others know that I am just another hungry beggar letting you know where I have found food."

So while the more "mature" person may not learn some direct Biblical lesson, there is infinite possibility to learn how to disciple others. And it is in that the mature person also benefits from the experience.

I am in a situation now where I "feel" hammered by some individuals in a group I am attending. My initial reaction was "fine, if you don't want what I have to offer, I'll just move on to somewhere that I am appreciated." But that is not pure love. I have determined that I will persevere in a way that let's them know my true heart in the matter.

And if along the way there is some behavior or attitude in me that needs correcting, than we all win - and Christ is glorified.

reftagger