Thursday, December 21, 2006

a very willow christmas

Christmas06Apparently WillowCreek will out do even themselves this year in a Christmas extravaganza beyond what one could ever imagine. The article states, "Willow Creek will host a series of 10 Christmas services featuring strobe lights, Cirque du Soleil-style acrobats “flying” above the stage, and fake snow falling from the ceiling. The end product is a Disney World-worthy production that Willow Creek founder Bill Hybels says is the church’s most ambitious to date. 'We’re trying things at this service that we’ve never attempted before,' Hybels said."

I can hear the watchdogs howling already. Me personally, my first reaction was that this was "over the top" and I didn't like it. But then I thought, why do I think that? Many of the critics will say it is wrong because it is Willow. Sorry, that doesn't make it so. Many will say it is wrong because it's big and flashy. Sorry, that doesn't make it so. And why would we draw the line at this level. Does it have to be poorly done before we can accept that it may be ok for a church to do it?

I cannot defend what WillowCreek is doing. But whether or not it is over the top doesn't matter. If it is not initiated by God, it is wrong. Since, unlike the watchdogs, I believe God dwells among the people of that community, I wish them a Merry Christmas and pray that God would be glorified in this season.

Technorati Tags: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the harshest critics (who shall go unnamed and unlinked) has already gone on record that "the church of Jesus Christ is no place for fun family outings featuring laugh all night comedians, period." I guess that either means that you're not supposed to have fun at all, or you're supposed to go to the smoky comedy club downtown and listen to the F-bomb dropped every 3 seconds.

This event at Willow Creek also sounds like it would be entertaining and enjoyable. Someone might get the idea that Christians can have a good time.

Is it over-the-top? Maybe. But over-the-top-ness is not what they're gonna get critized for.

ricki said...

Brendt - I know the group and I'm amazed at the level of energy they put into their bitterness. I'm saddened because so many accept what they put out.

reftagger