Monday, April 24, 2006

worldviews



At first I thought, "hmmm, aside from some of the uglier stereotypes, that looks pretty accurate." At least an accurate reflection of how I think the average American sees the world. I was tempted not to post this due to some of the cruder stereotypes but then I saw some things in here that explain some other things going on in the world and thought it would be worth it.

Note the spelling of "civilisation" - it's wrong. So clearly this is a non-American trying to stir up trouble. It's people like this that make it tough for us all to get along.

Then note that there is no Middle East. I think this part is a true reflection of the typical American worldview (at least prior to 9/11) and that view fuels the reasons why we have failed policies there (wherever "there" is).

Do you see anything else in this that I am missing?

Technorati Tags: ,

2 comments:

Matthew Self said...

This is so wrong, but only because it doesn't go far enough. There are people in NY who aren't entirely convinced Arizona is a real place, or that people actually live in Oregon. There are people in California who are certain "Deliverance" is an average day in the American South.

Everyone's cloistered, it just depends to what degree. Europeans think Americans drive around itching to shoot each other. I live in Arizona, one of the highest gun-toting states in the union, and I haven't seen someone wield a gun in public in my 30 years here.

Europe has a broader worldview because their long history and relative proximity to danger demand it. It's only been recently America's been forced to pay attention. That's the impact of enemies bombing your turf which, until 9/11/2001, just was not an American reality.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! "Something Else". To be brutally honest - I think most Aussies would probably be happy enough with something else. And it warms the heart of any Mainland Australian to see New Zealand and Tasmania not exist!

reftagger