Tuesday, December 11, 2007

gospel blindness

Phil Johnson of Pyromaniacs just posted Gospel Lite, a piece on how evangelicalism has lost its proper view and practice of the Gospel. The opener is:
The defining principle of historic evangelicalism was an unwavering devotion to the gospel. But the broad movement that calls itself "evangelical" today no longer stands for any clear point of view and can't seem to find consensus on even the most basic of gospel truths. How did that happen?

This set me up for some good old fashioned introspection and honesty. But alas, true to Pyromaniac/MacArthurite fashion, those that have strayed from the purer life have been (1) redefined as sects never really part of evangelicalism and (2) established as those other than ourselves.

Postmodernism, Open Theism, and the New Perspective (along with several other ideas and movements that aren't really evangelical at all in the historic sense) have managed to make themselves at home under the broad tent of the contemporary evangelical "movement."

Johnson ends with this excellent statement.

It is not now and never has been a valid goal to make our gospel message more winsome, more politically correct, more sophisticated-sounding, or simpler than it already is. Since Scripture recognizes and makes no apology for the fact that the message of the cross is itself a stumbling block and mere foolishness to unbelievers (1 Corinthians 1:23-25), Christians who are determined to devise a smart-sounding or inoffensive message are not being faithful ambassadors for Christ. He has commanded what our message should be. Our only duty is to deliver it without altering the sense of it.

Evangelicals for the past half-century have done a miserably poor job at that task, and it's time to take our calling more seriously.

Unfortunately the middle of the article is filled with what's wrong with those guys and not ourselves. I am tempted to point out what is wrong with the Pyromaniac/MacArthurite thinking and practice of the Gospel but then I would be guilty of the same.

Instead I ask myself where have I intentionally or unintentionally deviated from the true Gospel message.

For me, I continue to struggle in the work environment. I can generally press in with the Gospel message to a stranger on the street but at work, unless I sense a "Gospel friendly" crowd, I typically remain silent on that point. I don't really know why. I don't feel fear and certainly it's not about trying to curry favor. Perhaps I have rationalized in my mind that to help those that are open to the Gospel by providing direction is appropriate but to encourage someone to look at the Gospel is not. I'm not sure but I need to think and pray about that one more.

The other thing I have to be careful of is around the area of service. I am involved in several different activities to care for the needy and I find it easy to slip into a mood of serving but (1) not proclaiming the truth of the Gospel nor (2) demonstrating its power outside of providing temporary relief through giving. I don't think that is sufficient and even when I am cognizant of this I often allow myself to somehow feel enough was done when more could have been done. Somewhat complacent with the simple act of sharing.

Don't misread me. I'm not down on myself. But these are areas that I need to continue to challenge myself to be more true to my convictions.

What about you?

2 comments:

jul said...

I think we don't preach the gospel well because we still haven't got a true and powerful revelation of it ourselves. It's mostly still head knowledge and we need the Spirit to breathe his life and power into his good news--and into us. Which, I believe, he's doing!

ricki said...

Jul - good point. The other day I was talking with someone about miracles and I realized all examples were too distant past or someone else's story.

We need to be able to stand in what seems to be the absence of God's presence and know that regardless of our experience, He is God, etc..

At the same time, we desperately need to experience Him moment-by-moment, day-by-day.

reftagger