Tuesday, October 02, 2007

power napping

The following is going to triple my productivity ... well maybe not ...

Scientists say that a successful midday nap depends on two things: timing and caffeine consumption. Experiments performed at Loughborough University in the UK showed that the sleep-deprived need only a cup of coffee and 15 minutes of shut-eye to feel amazingly refreshed.
  • Right before you crash, down a cup of java. The caffeine has to travel through your gastro-intestinal tract, giving you time to nap before it kicks in.
  • Close your eyes and relax. Even if you only doze, you'll get what's known as effective microsleep, or momentary lapses of wakefulness.
  • Limit your nap to 15 minutes. A half hour can lead to sleep inertia, or the spinning down of the brain's prefrontal cortex, which handles functions like judgment. This gray matter can take 30 minutes to reboot.

7 comments:

Jonathan Moorhead said...

I love this type of advice. I'll definitely give this a try.

AJ King said...

It sounds great. Have you tried it yet? I would be curious to hear how it goes.

ricki said...

I'm trying a modified version where I drink a lot of coffee and sleep most of the day ...

:-)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, what did you say? I must have dozed off.

P.S. One of the disadvantages of not being a real blogger is that I don't get one of those cool personal icons.

Shannon Laser said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon Laser said...

I prefer to nap between 1 and 2 hours a day, 15mins would never cut it... but that's just me and I'm pregnant with my third child. LOL

Kyle Field said...

hmm...now if i can only convince my mgr to let me slide a cot under my desk...

reftagger