Thursday, October 25, 2007

the harvest

And Jesus went throughout all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." - Mt 9.35-38

There it is again. What did Jesus do? He went out demonstrating and proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom. And check out the tone here. I see compassion. I see camaraderie between Jesus and the disciples. I see a focus on the harvest - a passion for the harvest.

I don't see bloggers sitting in their homes (or Panera) criticizing each other. I don't see preachers from their pulpits in their building surrounded by their programs talking about how the other guys are doing Sunday morning wrong.

We've somehow confused authority with the ability to find some text to kick another laborer with rather than the power to go out into the world to speak words that set people free from darkness and demonstrate that power with a healing touch. I suppose when that real power is missing you are left with nothing but to speak out against others.

I know that in my life, when I am out among "the crowds" speaking Gods truth and demonstrating His Kingdom, the furthest thing from my mind is what is wrong with some other ministry. When I'm sitting around my house surfing the internet or reading a book, I often find cause to get upset at what someone else is doing.

I think it's clear what Jesus intended. The former has something to do with the harvest, the latter does not. Which of these modes do you find yourself most often in?

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

reftagger