Monday, April 20, 2009

no more penal substitution

Under the guise of fair and balanced, here is Penal Substitution Debate - Negative Constructive Essay by CatholicNick. I didn't come to the same conclusion Nick does in all points of his essay (in fact I have significant issue with some) and there are a number of passages that I cannot square with his position but I wanted to say that he raised some excellent objections to which (in the absence of my willingness to invest significant time in this) can only say, "I dunno".

My good friend Randy Noblog reminded me how we often come up with fanciful explanations for theological things that aren't always as sound as we would imagine. I think CatholicNick did a good job in poking at that. Not sufficient enough for me to change my position but sufficient enough for me to add this to my ever growing list of things I want to learn more about ... until then, peace and blessing to Nick.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Thank you Rick. That really is my feeling. I'm thankful that you looked into the opposing case in making your decision.

People should not be afraid to see opposing views, and you were a good example of this.

It is a touchy subject with a lot on the line, but you can't ask more than taking an open and honest look at each side.

God Bless,
Nick

reftagger