Wednesday, June 11, 2008

knowledge of the holy

We cannot grasp the true meaning of the divine holiness by thinking of someone or something very pure and then raising the concept to the highest degree we are capable of. God’s holiness is not simply the best we know infinitely bettered. We know nothing like the divine holiness. It stands apart, unique, unapproachable, incomprehensible and unattainable. The natural man is blind to it. He may fear God’s power and admire His wisdom, but His holiness he cannot even imagine. Only the Spirit of the Holy One can impart to the human spirit the knowledge of the holy. ~ A.W. Tozer, The Knowledge of the Holy

HT:KMC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine put me onto this book a few months ago - I have always balked at reading Tozer, being an Arminian and all :), but he has such a beautiful way of saying things!

I loved how great God seemed on the pages - so infinitely unattainable and glorious!

ricki said...

Nicole - thanks. Not all of us Calvinists are ugly.

Your comment is interesting because I was not always a "Calvinist". My conversion came as I tried to rescue a friend from its tangled web. Now, Calvinism is more consistent with my current understanding of Scripture.

But that aside, the point I wanted to make is now that I better understand the view, it has moved in my perception from being ugly and hateful to beautiful and loving.

You may never "convert" and I won't try to make you, but yes, from time-to-time even a Calvinist has something beautiful to say.

reftagger