Thursday, June 12, 2008

human history

Put simply, the Christian story unravels unless God brings the entire course of human history under His visible and perfect judgment, unless God’s justice is perfectly displayed, unless the Christ is revealed in glory so that every knee bows and every tongue confesses that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father [Phil. 2:11], unless Christ claims His redeemed people, unless God’s triumph in Christ over death, sin, evil, and injustice is made universal. Put simply, unless every eye is dry and every tear is wiped away.

There is no Christian Gospel if history simply unwinds into a meaningless puddle, if the cosmos simply escapes into a cataclysmic black hole, or if the universe finally dies of exhausted energy. Without belief in a biblical eschatology, there is no Christian hope. Without a sense of perfect moral judgment in the end, the human heart is homeless. ~ Albert Mohler, The End of History — The Moral Necessity of Eschatology

HT:OFI

I thought this interesting in light of the current "theme" of some of my recent and future posts, i.e., "is the base characteristic of God love?" I believe the Mohler quote to be true and in it I clearly see the love of God but in it I also see the beauty and truth of some of His other characteristics. If I strip away the others and focus on love, I am left answerless to some important questions that spring from this. And more so, the enormity of the overall concept becomes lost.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Rick is it possible that love drives God to the restoration of all creation? That he will not stop because we are worth it to him?

And I've never said ONLY use love. I wonder if this is the concern you have. I see it deeper than that. Select any attribute and underneath that IS love.

I would also be interested in hearing your questions you have.

ricki said...

It is not possible to single love out as what drives God. Scripture states that God is driven by all He is.

Select love and underneath that is any other attribute.

Anonymous said...

Okay maybe now you can help me see your point. What is the Scripture? I'm always open to that.

And again I'm not singling out love. I'm calling it dominant. It's not an either/or but a both/and.

ricki said...

To quote a great man, "Gen 1 - Re 22".

And the definition of God.

And logic.

You said you define or base the others on love. Don't you have to define love by the others. Some attributes, the non-communicable ones, e.g., eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, etc. do not define love and are not defined by love.

It's because He is both/and that the language you are choosing is dangerous.

Again, you did not say, "for where I am now, the attribute of God that must speaks to me is His love." You said it is His most dominant attribute. Where there is unity, there cannot be dominance.

Anonymous said...

I will save myself the trouble of making my thoughts more concise - I am working them out on my site - http://daughter0fzion.wordpress.com

reftagger