Monday, July 24, 2006

more laughter

Since I'm not a fan of the "holy laughter" movement I hate to keep doing this but I think the "anti-laughter" crowd continues to miss the contradiction in their thinking. I sense that Pyromaniacs is their blog of choice and Charles Spurgeon is their "gold standard". This Spurgeon quote just appeared in Pyromaniacs.
"My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."

I have often read in Scripture of the holy laughter of Abraham, when he fell upon his face and laughed; but I do not know that I ever experienced that laughter till a few evenings ago, When this text came home to me with such sacred power as literally to cause me to laugh.

I had been looking it through, looking at its original meaning, and trying to fathom it, till at last I got hold of it this way: "My grace," says Jesus, "is sufficient for thee, "and it looked almost as if it were meant to ridicule my unbelief: for surely the grace of such a one as my Lord Jesus is indeed sufficient for so insignificant a being as I am ...
Sounds like not only did Spurgeon do a bit of laughing but he saw it as "Scriptural".

No comments:

reftagger