Friday, July 14, 2006

axis is axed

Leadership Blog: Out of Ur, just posted an interesting article on the demise of Willow Creek's Next-Gen ministry. The author asserts:
... if the changes in culture are bigger than merely generational styles, it is absurd to think that creating a different aesthetic environment and changing the music is really being missional. To be missional to a cultural population that is different in more than age, means looking at everything through a different lens. It means looking at community differently, spiritual formation, evangelism, membership, leadership, communication all through the lens of the new culture and bringing the gospel to them in the unique way that connects to them as any missionary would. This means that the whole culture of a church will change, not just what happens in a worship gathering. That is why only changing the worship gathering is not the answer.

This is why so many worship gatherings launched within a church last only 3-5 years. Very few last any longer than that. They end up imploding because if the new worship gathering is truly rethinking everything as a missionary would to a different culture, then the new ministry with different values struggles to squeeze into the existing church structure's cultural form of ministry. Because the power lies with the senior leadership, the decisions are made from top to bottom, and the alternative worship gatherings are not at the top.
I agree however I would expand this. In one community, we wrestled with how to deal with the segment of our congregation whose native language wasn't English. I was against creating a non-English community within our community. The above rationale is one of the reasons.

On the other hand, if the goal is to plant a church into that other culture, than I think the above arguments fail. I think we should nurture new communities as much as we can and when the value conflict becomes significant, it is time for the new group to move on with the blessing of the "mother church".

Because Willow Creek wasn't intending to plant a church for youth and we weren't prepared to plant a non-English speaking church, it makes sense to not have these kinds of programs. I would only attempt them with the intent to develop and release a new community to minister to the new culture.

Comments?

Technorati Tags: ,

3 comments:

Shannon Laser said...

I strongly agree with you Rick, we must develop the new cultures within our cultures and then grow them into new churches. We need to speak God's word in their cultural language. We need to disciple. We can not force others to fit within our limitations.

I speak as one that is part of a new culture. I am grounded in the Bible, trust God to provide ALL, place value on historical Christianity (though that might be strange to some), continually strive to surrender my life/will to the Lord, and seek to Glorify Him. I see much of the body around me as lacking in faith, being un-surrendered and un-repentant to Christ. And I am fairly alone in my passion. My initial reaction to the body around me is that they are luke warm believers (if at all)/bound to the law (tradition)/unwilling to change. I grieve at their acceptance of mediocrity--the Kingdom of God is far more than this! It grieves me and frustrates me beyond words.

Have you noticed all the "me's" in there? I am self-centred, no? Not God-centred.

Who is worse? Them for being lukewarm (which God will spit out of His mouth) or me?

I like Proverbs 6 where is talks about 'a worthless man' being one who 'sows discord among brethren'. When we try to inforce our new views/ideas/scriptural interpretations on an existing church we sow discord. We must be wiery of our motives/attitudes and the consequences of our words.

What are my motives? What attitudes am I holding in my heart? I am not valuing these people in my heart the way Christ has intended. I am putting my own experience of God above theirs. Viewing them as 'less' than myself. My own selfish ambitions to further the Kingdom are worthless.

If God wants to change the hearts of those already in my local community, then that is His job! Not ours.

My job is to serve God in the life He has put before me--in putting others before myself--putting Christ above all. Christ calls us to serve. I must serve those God putts in my path, continually letting God humble me and give me the compassion to pass on to others. Keeping my un-Christlike thoughts to myself.

What does this mean practically in my local body of believers... well, my hubby (Chris) and I feel a strong call to 'serve' those around us. Those in the church, on the fringe and anyone in our path. We are not sure exactly where God is leading this, but we see there is an unseen goal--perhaps a church plant. We have been sensing God leading us to either continue a ministry Chris began many years ago in the church or begin a new one. It would be a place we would invite people who desire to know God more (than the norm). A place where we would seek to understand scripture, grow in Christ and be His hands and feet to the people around us. We desire to be relevant to those who are seeking the Lord and bless those who are hurting in a practical way.

Sincerely,
A mere sinner

ricki said...

I just checked - God said you're ok.

Shannon Laser said...

Thanks man, I was getting a little worried. ~;>

reftagger