Sunday, July 16, 2006

holy laughter

I commented on a recent Purgatorio post entitled, "Who's laughing now?" I found it challenging since most of the antagonists were against the "movement" because it is disorderly and of course God is not a god of disorder. While I am not a proponent of this movement and question the theology of many involved in it, I am amazed at how closed and angry some people can be regarding this.

I think it is not proper that they define for all what is and is not orderly. I am also surprised at their lack of openness to expressing joy. Dallas Willard (who I would guess is also not a supporter of the movement but open to physical expression of what God is doing) said;
No wonder, then, that laughter is so good for our health. It is even a symbol of redemption, for there is no greater incongruity in all creation than redemption. When deliverance comes, "we are like those who dream: our mouth filled with laughter, our tongue with shouts of joy" (Ps 126.1-2)

Thus Abraham fell on the ground laughing when told by God that he, a one-hundred-year-old man, would have child by ninety-year-old Sarah (Ge 17.17). Later Sarah herself laughed at the same "joke" (18.12-15). God specified to Abraham that the child of promise would be named "Laughter". Isaac mean "Laughter." "Your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Laughter, and I will establish my covenant with him" (Ge 17.19). Was this a penalty imposed upon them because they laughed? Hardly. Rather, it was a perpetual reminder that God breaks through. What joy they had when little Laughter came into their home and as he grew to become a young man!
Again, I am not trying to propagate the movement. I'm trying to say that there are times when God breaks in and we will respond with joy manifesting itself in laughter - just as there will also be times of repentance and tears. Throughout the Bible God does things that results in behavior that others find offensive.

I would think those that are against holy laughter would find better arguments than the disorder and can't laugh angles.

Lord, let my joy be full!

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

Matthew Self said...

As someone who experienced the laughter years ago, I'm very slow to criticize. I can only judge it by the fruit, and I have been a very different person since those days. What I refuse to do is put a theological justification on it where the Bible is clearly silent!

reftagger