Tuesday, September 26, 2006

driscoll spiritual gifts contradiction

Although I'm still hopeful, I'm quickly becoming dissatisfied with Mark Driscoll's sermons on Spiritual Gifts.

I just listened to him describe the gifts of wisdom and knowledge in terms that make them sound more like personality traits - something he cautioned us not to get confused about early in the first session. An example - he describes those with the gift of knowledge as loving books - not just books but the footnotes and appendices and ... This sounds more like a personality. God creates us each with passions and skills and all of that stuff but I would try to avoid calling that a spiritual gift. And although I don't agree with him, he said a spiritual gift comes at conversion so I find his descriptions of the gifts as lacking at best, contradictory at worst.

At the very end of the description he "redeemed" himself with a clarification that I agree with but again doesn't seem aligned with his overall descriptions of the gifts. In the clarification he noted that you know you just exercised a gift when you look back at something that you just said or did and realize that it was extraordinary and that it didn't come from you. In the context of wisdom or knowledge, it wasn't something you could have construed or studied. It was something amazing that came from beyond yourself and your natural means.

I agree with that but it leaves me not so keen with Driscoll's message. Ah, the gift of discernment or ?

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

reftagger