Monday, September 25, 2006

driscoll on spiritual gifts

I've begun listening to Mark Driscoll's series on Spiritual Gifts. The first in the series is ok. While Driscoll is "charismatic", I sense he panders a little to the "anti-charismatic" crowd. I don't blame him. I identified with much of what he said but that aside, I don't believe it is proper to refer to "charismaniacs" and joke about hair style, make-up, etc. especially while teaching on this important Biblical topic.

I also struggle a little internally while listening to Driscoll. I think he is cool and therefore I want to believe what he tells me. I have to be careful, he almost "tricked" me in the past. Already in this first in the series I had to stop myself and ask, "hey wait a minute, can that be supported?"

On the positive side, Driscoll draws a good distinction between talents versus gifts. He states that talents are given by God at birth and gifts are given by God at rebirth. I'd modify that a bit. First I'd add the two categories of skills and personality - skill being something that can be taught and personality being a psychological or emotional leaning or disposition.

In addition to adding these categories, I reject that gifts are given by God only at rebirth. I agree that they are given by God but I wouldn't limit the timing. I understand one can receive a gift prior to conversion as well as many times post-conversion.

Driscoll understands gifts as something that is given once to a believer and then retained throughout the individual's "career". He said that all believers receive one gift and only some receive more. I understand that a gift can be a one time gift for a the specific moment or it can be many times over the course of a career. I also understand that it would be normative for an individual to operate in multiple gifts rather than Driscoll's single gift norm.

Regarding the "lists of gifts", I agree with Driscoll in acknowledging that the gifts noted in Ro 12, Ep 4, 1 Pe 4, 1 Co 12 are not intended to be comprehensive lists. I'll be interested if in the later sermons he tries to make a distinction between gifts, ministry, and church office. I personally subscribe to John Wimber's understanding of the 1 Co 12 gifts as gracelets. In a nutshell, the "gracelet" theory is that everyone can operate in any gift at any moment as God determines. The gift that is given is the one that is needed at the time. The analogy is that it is probably not useful if someone comes to work on the plumbing in my house with only a hammer. God will give the gift that is needed as He sees fit at the time that He sees fit.

This differs from someone who seems to work in a certain gift area as a norm. This then is a "ministry". Which is different than someone who is recognized officially by the church (ordained) in a gifting. This then is an "office".

It is based on this gracelet understanding that I conclude that any believer can operate in any and all gifts.

Remember, in the Greek, the word gift is actually the word charismata. Charismata refers to “something bestowed out of grace, favor or special kindness.” Grace is from the Greek word charis, the first half of the word charismata. The gifts of the Holy Spirit, then, are God’s undeserving grace endowments. The gifts of the Spirit are simply the extension of God’s grace to His people.

For more on gracelets, here's a fair representation or here for a more in-depth treatment. Or, if you promise not to attack the straw man, here's a child level teaching (probably more appropriate for me and some of my readers).

Regarding portions of gifting, Driscoll does well to explain that not all that receive a gift receive the same measure of that gift. For example someone may have the gift of leadership and be able to use that well for a group of 12 while another may have the same gift of leadership but be effective leading a group of 1200.

And so I'm looking forward to the rest his sermons. Feel free to jump in with your comments as I outline what I'm hearing. I will try to avoid a theological debate with some of you "anti-charismatics" but if you poke me right, I'll probably respond.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

4 comments:

Vince said...

i'd be interested in where you find support for the statement about some receiving gifts pre-conversion. if that is true are they spiritual gifts? i don't know that i disagree but i am curious as to where you would find support.

ricki said...

I wouldn't go build a doctrine on this one but my thought process went something like, "God can use anyone/anything/anytime in a extraordinary way."

Because I have opened up the definition of "spiritual gift", I allow for pre-conversion use of a person by God. I'll use the extreme example, Nu 22.2-35, and let you find better ones. ;- )

I think that I could accept a tighter understanding of spiritual gifts but whenever I do that in discussing the miraculous, then things that fall outside of that definition don't have a grid and are deemed as not happening. So I leave it loose - I guess that's the charismatic in me.

Vince said...

are you saying that animals can have spiritual gifts? i would be on board with that statement so long as the animals were believers.

ricki said...

don't puppies and pet bunny rabbits go to heaven?

reftagger