Thursday, May 24, 2012

he cares

Some simple yet wonderfully wise words from Darryl Dash:

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7)

Some say that the two words "But God" in Ephesians 2 are the best two words in the Bible. I tend to agree, but two words in 1 Peter 5:7 come pretty close.

He cares.

Think about that for a while.

We live in anxious days. I talked to a high school teacher recently. She told me that anxiety is rampant among the students. We're not talking about average levels of anxiety. We're talking about major, life-altering anxiety. Students aren't the only ones. As I look around and within, I see high levels of anxiety almost everywhere I look.

Whatever your level of anxiety, God invites us to cast our anxiety on him. I don't know anyone else offering this. He's best equipped to handle the stuff that we can't. As Charles Simeon said about our anxieties, "None are so small but they shall be regarded, none so great but they shall be alleviated."

The best news of all: he cares.

We don't have to make something of ourselves, because God will look after exalting us when it's the right time. Our job is to stay humble and to keep giving him all the stuff that keeps us awake at night, knowing that he has our best interests at heart.

"God extends his care to the whole creation; but in a more special manner cares for his people" (Charles Simeon).

I don't know what you're going through today. Maybe nothing. Maybe a lot. But keep these two words in mind today: He cares. I know those two words are going to help me shift my anxieties over to him, work to stay humble, and trust that he will work everything out when the time is right.

No comments:

reftagger