Thursday, October 13, 2011

would you attend

Al Mohler in response to Joel Osteen's position regarding homosexuality and marriage.
"Joel Osteen sees homosexuality as a sin and same-sex marriage to be contrary to God’s will. He cannot perform same-sex marriage ceremonies or endorse same-sex marriage, because he is bound by Scripture. On the other hand, he can attend a same-sex ceremony, if the participants are friends, and thus endorse by his presence the credibility of the ceremony itself and join in the celebration of what he believes, or says he believes, is sin. This is beyond mere incoherence. It is moral and theological nonsense. More than that, it is a massive statement of ministerial malpractice."
I have to disagree with Mohler on this. If I were invited to a same-sex marriage I think I'd have to weigh other factors. If I had opportunity to communicate they were in sin and that I was not there to condone the marriage or their practice but there to let them know that I love them, I think I would go. That is, I do not think attending alone is the same as condoning. If there was no chance to communicate God's truth in this, no, I would not go - well unless I heard a clear message from God to do so ...

Jesus managed to hang out with sinners without condoning their sin.

How do you handle this?

No comments:

reftagger