Sunday, May 09, 2010

viola on certainty

Frank Viola writes this excellent piece which addresses the popular distortion that it is certainty that leads to violence. I post it here in its entirety.

I tweeted this yesterday:

Certainty? I’m a Christian: thus I’m absolutely “certain” of that which it is impossible to be “certain.” 2 Timothy 1:12

It’s hip among some Christians today who have imbibed deconstructionism to believe that certainty is an unnecessary evil. Certainty is the cause of bloodshed, wars, persecution, etc. Yes. certainty is the root of all evil (so they say).

As a Christian, I’m certain of that which none of us can be certain.

I believe in the kind of certainty in a Resurrected Christ that led Paul of Tarsus to untold suffering, imprisonments, and even death.

I believe in the kind of certainty in a Resurrected Christ that led Peter to a horrid death.

I believe in the kind of certainty in a Resurrected Christ that led James to be executed by the sword.

I believe in the kind of certainty in a Resurrected Christ that led John to be exiled on an island.

I am certain of that kind of certainty.

Empiricism is overrated. It’s profoundly limited in the kind of knowledge it can provide.

Revelation transcends the realm of the physical senses. Descartes said, “I think, therefore, I am.”

The disciple of Jesus says, “I have seen, therefore, I know.”

The Pharisees reasoned; but Jesus perceived.

We know in part.

I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.


And of this I am certain: that Peter, James, John, and Paul did not create wars or persecutions or bloodshed by their certainty in a Resurrected Christ. No, they were rather the victims of such.

All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knows the Son, but the Father; neither knows any man the Father, except the Son, and He to whomsoever the Son will REVEAL Him. Matthew 11:27

To REVEAL His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles. Galatians 1:16

No comments:

reftagger