Saturday, July 18, 2009

our freedom

"Although I am an unworthy and condemned man, my God has given me in Christ all the riches of righteousness and salvation without any merit on my part out of pure free sovereign mercy so that from now on I need nothing except faith which believes this is true. Why should I not therefore freely, joyfully, with all my heart and with an eager will do all thing which I know are pleasing and acceptable to such a father who has overwhelmed me with His inestimable riches! I will therefore give myself as a Christ to my neighbor, just as Christ offered himself to me; I will do nothing in this life except what I see as necessary, profitable, and salutary to my neighbor, since through faith I have an abundance of all good things in Christ.
Behold, from faith thus flow forth love and joy in the Lord, and from love a joyful, willing, and free mind that serves one’s neighbor willingly.

Martin Luther, The Freedom of a Christian

No comments:

reftagger