Tuesday, January 06, 2009

de facto cessationism

While I'll opt to continue as a continuationist, I found C. Michael Patton's discussion on why he is not charismatic very well done. I very much agree with his argument that cessationism is not a position explicitly taught in Scripture and I greatly respect him for acknowledging such. I find it fascinating the degree of contortion my cessationist friends go through to support their position from Scripture. On the other hand, I can also agree with Patton's point that just because the historic church has room for the miraculous, it does not equate to continuationism as being the common doctrine. Hesitantly I agree that the church is at least historically de facto cessationist. And sadly, I will add that many proclaimed charismatics are de facto cessationists.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

reftagger