Wednesday, October 21, 2009

christ is still the way

“Most preachers approach the text with only one question in mind: What does this text instruct me to tell my people to do? But if we only tell people what to do without leading them to understand their dependence on the Savior to obey, then they will either be led to despair (I cannot do this) or false pride (If I work hard enough, I can do this). No one can serve God apart from Christ. A message full of imperatives (e.g., Be like…a commendable Bible character; Be good…by adopting these moral behaviors; Be disciplined…by diligence in these practices) but devoid of grace is antithetical to the gospel. These “be messages” are not wrong in themselves, but by themselves they are spiritually deadly because they imply that our path to God is made by our works.”

Bryan Chapell, Christ-Centered Preaching

HT:PC

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

reftagger