Saturday, December 03, 2011

christmas message?

Sadly, too many who profess to be Christian agree with President Obama, "Christ’s birth made the angels rejoice and attracted shepherds and kings from afar. He was a manifestation of God’s love for us. And He grew up to become a leader with a servant’s heart who taught us a message as simple as it is powerful: that we should love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves."

Obama and many like him miss that Jesus is God incarnate, who suffered, died, and rose from the dead for our salvation and our hope. In Christ alone we have life if we repent, receive forgiveness, and obey His commands.

Two thousand years later His message remains unknown to the blind.

3 comments:

Geoff said...

Is it sad that I agree with the words Obama has used there? I agree with the things you've said about Jesus too - but are you seriously having a go because in saying something about Jesus, he didn't say everything about Jesus? Besides omission, what do you disagree with here? It seems to me you're picking a fight because of his politics, rather than his words.

ricki said...

Both.

There is much omitted and I perceive not omitted due to allotted time, of-the-cuff speaking, etc.; but omitted because more is not believed.

Also, if you read the full article referenced, O seems to support my presumption with, "That teaching ... lies at the heart of my Christian faith and that of millions of Americans. No matter who we are, or where we come from, or how we worship, it’s a message that can unite all of us on this holiday season."

So no, it's not just what was omitted but that he believes the part included is the central message. He is wrong.

ricki said...

So I thought more about this and conclude that it's unfortunate wording in the original post. There is nothing wrong with believing the portion I quoted. I thought I did a better job of implying (now realize I didn't) that the issue is (1) this is insufficient and I believe O and others do not believe the necessary rest, (2) as leader of the greatest nation in the world he rarely gets to speak of Christ and this opportunity is a miss, (3) what he said syncs perfectly with what I think he and many others think and what I think about that is that they are hugely deceived, and (4), all of that is reinforced with the balance of his statements in the original article (I quoted in the comment above the key statement).

reftagger