Tuesday, June 28, 2011

adorned

5881218035 Cbf3133A9C“Who can understand the riches of the glory of this grace? Here this rich and divine bridegroom Christ marries this poor, wicked harlot, redeems her from all her evil, and adorns her with all his goodness. Her sins cannot now destroy her, since they are laid upon Christ and swallowed up by him. And she has that righteousness in Christ, her husband, of which she may boast as of her own and which she can confidently display alongside her sins in the face of death and hell and say, ‘If I have sinned, yet my Christ, in whom I believe, has not sinned, and all his is mine and all mine is his.’” – Martin Luther, The Freedom of a Christian

1 comment:

darkness said...

I have started having issues with the Church as Bride of Christ metaphor for a while. As a heterosexual male, I can't say that I'm terribly thrilled about the prospect of being married to a man for eternity, even if that man is Jesus Christ. I've been looking for solutions to this conundrum within small-o orthodox theology, but haven't made much progress.

Any thoughts?

reftagger