Monday, February 13, 2006

warning

I don't know why I continue to try to read some authors. I find I have to read their writing multiple times to ensure I don't get caught up in the poor logic and harsh judgments. In the latest article, there's an excellent warning against worldliness in the church. The clear warnings are that we should:
  • be careful to not tone down the offense of the cross
  • not allow unbelievers the choice of a minister and entertainments and amusements in which they can assist
  • fight the notion that we do not need a distinct church (i.e., separated from the world)
All excellent warnings - but they are prompted by something in the heart of the writers that brings a greater problem. The greater problem is the division, anger and bitterness incited in the reader. This article (reinforced in the larger body of work by these authors) leads one to believe these charges are the motives of the "Seeker Movement" and the "Emergent Church". While I won't say these issues are unknown in these movements, I cannot say it is true of all leaders involved.

There is also very poor logic involved. For example, the charge is that if, as Paul, you try to be all things to all men, you must automatically be toning down the offense of the cross. There is no allowance that one can maintain the integrity of the Gospel and still work to ensure that that is the only offense. It also leads to other bad logic which flows something like this;
  1. group A tones down the Gospel
  2. group A has drama as part of the liturgy
  3. if you have a drama, you must be one that tones down the Gospel
I think this is very sad and frankly, this teaching is doing more damage to the church than anything I've seen come out of the movements being accused.

Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

ricki said...

Good feedback from a friend to stop criticizing those that criticize those that criticize... :-)

Net - I'm sounding critical. I need to stop.

reftagger