Monday, September 10, 2007

more on watchdogs and their watchers

I remain convinced that those that publicly criticize the motives of those that proclaim Christ commit a bigger sin than those they expose. This includes the criticizers of the criticizers (I'm guilty).

Do not hear that I think we should not expose error. It is clear that we are to defend the faith but we need to look real hard at how and with whom we do that. It is one thing to say that "when Rick says X he is contradicting our understanding of Scripture Y"; it is another thing to say "Rick says X because he is motived by Z". And I think we all know that when we are doing the latter, we have emotions in us inconsistent with the fruit of the Spirit. One doesn't have to spend much time in the comment section of any of the larger watchdog/anti-watch dog blogs to see that.

You can see this clearly in my blog. I still maintain that I am correct in my assertions but much of the rhetoric is sin on my part. Those that I critiqued did the same to me. In the end, both sides lost ground for the Kingdom (if that were possible).

We have lost sight of Paul's words in Philippians 1.15-18, "Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of rivalry, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice."

If there is a genuine profession of faith (1 Cor. 12:3) in the incarnation and deity of Christ (1 John 4:2) with evidence of the fruit of the Holy Spirit in their lives and in their ministry (Matt. 7:20; cf. John 15:5; Gal. 5:22–23), we should be thankful to God that the Holy Spirit is working, even in those who may not hold exactly the same convictions that we do on every point. We are "fruit inspectors" not "tree cutters".

Some say that God is laughing right now at the ridicule happening in the blogsphere between believers. I say it is Satan that is laughing. We have once again shown the world that the Word of Truth has not made a difference in our hearts. Rather than being united in love, the world sees a divided church that looks no different than any other group of people without Christ.

Technorati Tags: ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick, those are powerful comments. I happen to agree with your position on watchdog groups and have followed much of the discourse recently. I have written little about the recent 'poster' controversy on my site for fear of crossing a line and contributing to a public controversy that arguably does not help the kingdom. I have refused to judge your (and a few others) discussion of the watchdog groups because I see that you heart is good and your intentions just. I can see the wisdom in silence and the reason in response. Regardless, we must each be true to the conviction that the Spirit brings. I appreciate your heart and your humility, brother. May God richly bless you.

reftagger