Sunday, August 12, 2007

god is speaking, are you listening

I recently posted regarding God speaking to Paul about his thorn in the flesh. I concluded, contrary to some, that this like several other revelations God made to Paul, was a great example of the way God speaks to His people today.

One commenter disagreed saying; "Paul does speak of the revelation that was given to him. And, when we connect the dots, to him alone was given the full "mystery" of the Church and it is he alone who defines it for us in the epistles. So, I would have to disagree that this revelation to Paul is the common experience of all believers or even an available one."

Sorry, I don't track with that for the reasons outlined in that post. I'm writing about it again today because of a couple of Scriptures I just read.

First, Job 42.1-6;

Then Job answered the Lord and said:
“I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
‘Hear, and I will speak;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.’
I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;
therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes.”


Cool stuff. Here's Job, speaking to and hearing from God. Not only is he speaking to God, but as God speaks back to him, Job changes his tune quite a bit.

Scripture is replete with examples of God speaking to and through ordinary men. It is odd to me how hard folks work to say He isn't doing that anymore. What's more is that one of the arguments used is that all revelation is recorded in Scripture, the Canon is closed, therefore all revelation has ceased outside of what is written. I completely agree that the Canon is closed but what Scripture teaches is that God speaks to His people in many ways ... I missed the piece that He would stop doing what He normally does and from the apostles forward we only have a text book.

Another passage I read the further convinces me of this is Saul's conversion in Acts 9.1ff. Here we see God speaking to Saul who doesn't know Him ("Who are you, Lord?" v. 9) and Ananias who does know Him ("Here I am, Lord." v.10). Oh, and God also gave healing to Saul through Ananias. God is showing us how to live not simply recording a moment in history. I fail to see how it can be concluded that these events were unique and not expected to continue through the Church Age.

In John 10 it is recorded that Jesus told the Jews at the temple that "you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

Jesus never said a day will come when His sheep will read His book and will follow Him. I understand that the more time we spend with Him in two way communion, the more we will recognize when He speaks and the more natural, as we are renewed, it will be to follow Him.

When my wife calls me on the phone, I know her voice. I don't need caller id to know it's her. I know her and therefore I know her voice. if you know Jesus, you will find Him speaking to you through all manner of ways and you will recognize it as Him. This in no wise diminishes the importance of Scripture. I will contend that Scripture is the primary way God speaks to us and it is the "tuning fork" by which we can evaluate what we might hear otherwise. Yet I also contend that this standard teaches us that God speaks in divers ways to those He loves and it is not a good thing to go an extended period without hearing Him.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

reftagger