Wednesday, October 08, 2008

what if ...

John Mark Reynolds reflects on why he is afraid of both US presidential candidates and I have to agree with him. In his post he lists four government actions and his perception of the inevitable outcome. My thoughts are similar. Fundamental, and this is what candidates cannot say, there is nothing they can do. The problem is people. People ranging from greedy politicians, greedy folks in the financial world, greedy consumers trying to live outside their means, etc.. All of us. It's the rich trying to get richer and the poor trying to act unpoor.

Reynolds writes that, "I think some rules and regulations are helpful as sign posts to right behavior . . . but if our leadership class (on Wall Street and Washington) has become corrupt, then what group will we count on to enforce the laws?" He's correct. I'm not sure we need more laws. We need to put some people in jail based on the current laws.

Along those lines, we need to force Congressmen to put there name next to every earmark they propose on a given bill. I think if this data were readily available our job as voters would be much easier by cutting through the rhetoric. Just give me a tally of the bills they proposed and the earmarks they attached to others. I can decide from there.

On that note, as my wife and I watch the candidates speak of how the both warned of the coming crisis, we couldn't help but think that they both just admitted to being ineffectual. The harder folks work to blame others, the worse they look themselves.

Anyway, my mind is made up, one of the candidates is at least on a team that is pretending to point in a general direction that I like while the other is not. Both parties and both candidates have significant issues and I cannot help but wonder why Christians are so vocal on choosing sides and worse getting caught up in attacking the other side. I have many friends that just cannot see the difference. They want to argue for their candidate or accuse the other but for some reason do not want to pick a topic (e.g., abortion, how to run a healthy economy, etc.). And worse, they justify their passion by saying politics are important, as Christians we should ... you can fill it in. Then I wonder why the only time they have this passion is during election time. I wonder ...

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

reftagger