Wednesday, March 19, 2008

second experiences

In an effort to explain my sloppy use of the phrase baptism in the Holy Spirit, I'll now post briefly on "second experiences". Is there such a thing as a second experience in Acts other than the Pentecost event? Yes.

In Acts 8, we see that Peter and John laid hands on the Samaritan people so that they might receive the Holy Spirit. I do not understand this passage as some do that the Samaritans had not experienced saving faith. Instead this simply seems to be a "Samaritan Pentecost". Like the activity of Acts 1, I find no indication that this is a pattern to be repeated. On the other hand, I love this wonderful surprise by God and would have no objection to Him doing more of the same. Bottom line, I do not take this as something to be sought as part of normal Church life but unlike some, I do not flatly reject contemporary events described as "outpourings" of the Spirit of God.

Another example of what some attribute as a "second experience" is that of Cornelius in Acts 10. I love this story at many levels. It is especially useful when speaking with those that seem locked into what God will and will not do based on their interpretation of Scripture and more specifically to the "God is silent" crowd. But that's another post. Focusing on the second experience point, I do not understand Cornelius to already being a believer. The Gentiles in verse 45 are new believers receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit - and not incidentally speaking in tongues. This is not a second experience but rather entry into the Church by Gentile - a work of the Holy Spirit. And, as in other examples, I do not find reason to take this as the norm to be sought by the Church, i.e., when the Holy Spirit brings one from light into darkness I do not read that tongues necessarily follows. On the other hand, it happened here and I see nothing to indicate it wouldn't again.

A third example is in Acts 19. I read this to be like the experience of the Gentiles in Acts 10. While these people received John's baptism, they had not heard of Christ's death, resurrection, not that there even was a Holy Spirit. Verse 4 even casts doubt on their basic understanding of who Jesus was. I see these disciples as followers of John the Baptist who have now, by the power of the Holy Spirit, have become followers of Jesus Christ.

So, is there such a thing as a second experience in Acts other than the Pentecost event? I said yes but I still haven't supported that nor do I intend to today. This post was simply to show that some of the typical passages to support a second experience may not really do so. And at the same time, there was a Pentecost and there was a second Pentecost-like experience and there were some strange happenings at at least some first Holy Spirit experiences. These points from Scripture I think cause problems for the doctrinal views of some. Just as Scripture does not point to these as something we are to try to replicate, Scripture also does not rule out God working in similar fashion throughout history. Scripture is full of wonderful surprises and it is beyond me why many are bent on limiting that working of God. The Bible is a beautiful picture of God and His interaction with creation. It is not the end.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
I'm sure you know one common explanation of these few 2nd experiences. It seems to make sense to me, but I'm not sure. I'm always hesitant to try to explain things which the Scripture does not explain.

Anyway, the explanation goes that the 2nd experience accompanied the introduction of the Gospel to each new group of people (Jews, Gentiles, Samaritans, disciples of John, etc.)

Because there might be reluctance to believe that God wanted these groups in His family, the Holy Spirit blessed the introduction of each group to ensure that the rest of the Church would accept them.

I'm not sure.

Randy

ricki said...

Randy - was there a "second experience" when the first xxxxx became believers?

I almost used your last name - although that did make for a controversial comment of another kind.

:-)

Daniel C said...

Rick:

I will agree with you that there are second experiences, and more so, even third, forth ad infititum experiences of God. =)

ricki said...

Daniel - as usual, you are ahead of me ... i think on this topic we will end up very closely if not completely aligned. The gap will be that I have chosen to use the phrase "baptism in the Holy Spirit" in a way that the Bible does not. I see the confusion this causes so I may need to change that habit.

:-)

reftagger