Friday, December 08, 2006

christians, aids, saddleback, and obama

Here's an interesting and moving Newsweek article on Christians and our role in the fight against HIV. You can [should] read the article but I'll highlight here the piece regarding the choice of Saddleback to use pro-abortion Senator Barack Obama as a speaker in their conference.

[Newsweek] When Rob Schenck, president of the National Clergy Council, spoke out against the inclusion of Sen. Barack Obama as a speaker at the summit, did that surprise you?

[Kay Warren] A bit, and maybe I was a little naïve, but I was so intrigued by [Obama]. I watched him take an HIV test in Kenya and could not think of anyone else like him who had done that publicly, and I immediately thought of him when we were putting together our program. That kind of stuff takes leadership. I’m cognizant of the fact that you can’t get the approval of everyone on everything. But that’s not going to stop us from pursuing our goal of doing our best to end this epidemic. And toward that, we’ll concentrate on the intersection of people that come together on this goal. That’s where we’re going to work, and I don’t expect everyone to agree with us.
I've read and heard many reasons why Obama should not be used but in the end the effort spent to discredit him far exceeds the effort spent to do something about the real issue before us.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

reftagger